Mifeprex is a medication containing Mifepristone which is used for terminating a pregnancy of 8 weeks gestation. It is widely known as an abortion pill. It is used in combination with another medication of Misoprostol to have a successful abortion process
What Is Mifeprex?
How Does Mifeprex Function?
What Is The Dosage And Method Of Intake Of The Mifeprex?
What To Expect After Abortion Pills Intake?
- The strong contractions in the uterus wall will be felt as severe cramps. The intensity of this cramping will be much higher in intensity than you generally feel during your menstrual cycle.
- Similarly, you will start bleeding and it will be heavier than the regular cycle.
- The thick masses of tissues can be observed in this initial bleeding. These are tissues from the aborted pregnancy and are indications that the abortion is proceeding successfully.
- The tissue mass which might appear as blood clots might not be that obvious to spot if the pregnancy was in the very early days.
- You may also have abdomen pain due to severe cramping.
- The heavy bleeding will be slowed down within a few hours and is expected to continue that way for a couple of weeks.
What Are The Possible Side Effects Of Mifeprex?
- Back Pain
- Stomach pain
- Irregular bowel movement
What Can You Do As Preparation For The Process Of Medical Abortion?
- Buy some maxi pad to soak the heavy blood flow during the process.
- Stock some pain killers so you can use them when you feel like you can’t handle the pain. These can be over-the-counter tablets or you can ask the doctor to prescribe some for you.
- Choose some comfortable clothes for the process.
- You can also ask someone to be your support person. They can be a friend, family, or a partner.
- Have heating pads or hot water bottles to soothe the cramping.
- If you have professional responsibilities take a day off on the day you take Misoprostol. You also need to transfer your household and parenting duties for this day.
- If you are breastfeeding your child it is advised to store some milk before you take abortion pills.
What Precautions Should You Take?
- Do not insert menstrual cups or tampons in the vagina while the abortion process is going on to avoid the possibility of infection.
- If you have any kind of intrauterine device remove it in advance.
- It is advised to lie down and take a bed rest when there is heavy bleeding.
- Make sure to communicate your medical history related to the organs like liver, heart, kidney, and lungs to the doctor before obtaining your prescription.
- You are taking any medication presently to inform that doctor so your medications can be adjusted to avoid any complications.
- Do not indulge in sexual intercourse for the next few days.
- Avoid heavy exercises and intense physical tasks during this period.
- Eat healthy and nutritious food for you to heal faster.
- Keep yourself well-hydrated.
- Take an ultrasound or a blood pregnancy test to determine the success of the abortion process after 15 days.
When Should You Seek Medical Help?
- If you get a fever that does not reduce even after 24 hours.
- In the case where the bleeding needs two maxi pads to soak in an hour and this continues for 2-3 hours.
- If you observe the blood clots bigger than the size of a lemon.
- Where after some days the heavy bleeding returns again.
Who Should Not Consume Mifeprex?
- If you do not have any emergency room or a clinic near you where you can go in case of emergencies.
- Those who have allergies related to Mifepristone and Misoprostol, or other similar medication should not intake it.
- When the fetus is conceived inside the fallopian tube.
- If you have a disorder related to adrenal.
- You are suffering from any bleeding disorder.
- If you find it difficult to breathe or have an irregular heartbeat.
- In case your vision gets blurry and fainting.
- When pain still persists after the use of painkillers.